Friday, July 20, 2012

Long time no see.

Once again, I haven't posted in quite some time, partially from playing a few games that I've already talked about, partially because at least one of the games I'm currently playing is in closed beta, and partially because I just don't have much to talk about. I figured I'd use this time to just talk in general about games and the like.

Currently, I'm just a little disappointed with the way most developers seem to be going in terms of what games they are pushing out lately, although there are a few exceptions. One of them being Planetside 2, which I am very much looking forward to. From all that I have seen and heard, SOE seems to be doing a pretty good job of pushing out what will (hopefully) be a really great title that also happens to be free-to-play (henceforth referred to as F2P for those who might not have known the gamer vernacular) with a micro-transaction business model. Yes, I said micro-transaction business model, and in this case I don't think it will be a bad thing. As far as has been shown, it looks like the majority of things that will be available for purchase using real cash are going to be cosmetic stuff, like camo for your character and weapons. Personally, I'm perfectly fine with that kind of business model on a F2P game. It allows the business to potentially pull in a decent amount of cash while at the same time not alienating those who wish to not purchase things with real money. I've played plenty of F2P games where they have failed on that part through allowing purchases of things that are obvious (and sometimes huge) upgrades to anything that someone who plays the game completely free could ever hope of attaining.

Anyways, enough about Planetside 2. There's plenty of youtube videos for that, which would be far better in explaining it than I could in written form. What else have I been doing besides drooling over previews of PS2? Mostly Smite closed beta with a sprinkling of Tribes: Ascend here and there. I've also taken to the habit of going back to my Wii to play some old SNES, Nintendo 64 and Gamecube games, most of those being the Legend of Zelda and Metroid games. I've always loved how well the story-telling is in the LoZ series (although I'm still a little iffy on the official timeline bit..), and how you can just go and explore and find all the hidden secrets. Even if there isn't an outright story told in Metroid, the gameplay itself is in a way it's own story-telling. Here you have Samus, a silent protagonist, going through these various worlds (up until recently with little or no contact with anyone to talk to her), killing all of these alien Pirates to ensure that their plans for domination never come to fruition, all with the ever-elusive and mysterious Chozo haunting the background, in the form of their ruins as well as their technology. Even the Metroid Prime games still have heavy overlays of the Chozo in them, even when the missions don't take place on worlds that the Chozo themselves didn't inhabit. Yet, despite all of this, we still know so little of this star-faring species. I think it would be pretty cool if Retro Studios were to make a new Metroid that explored them in more detail. I suppose part of the reason this hasn't happened is that there may simply be too small of a demand for it.


Other than all that, not really too much to say. Still having the usual daily cussing bouts at the gameplay of the various teammates I end up with. Playing MMOs, especially of the like of Tribes and Smite, has definitely compounded my opinion that tactics really are a virtue, and a dying one at that. I leave that particular post (read; possible major rant) for some other time. And if anyone who reads this is lucky, I shall forever spare you from ever having to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment